Valerie in San Diego as of Wednesday. Friday (yesterday) was a pro-d day so both girls not in school. Maggie and Molly at a sleep over on Thursday evening, at home last night, and on sleep overs tonight. Molly and I slept in the same bed the other night and 12 hours later I have her cold – it finally got me. uhg But I think she is now past the contagious stage as she barely has a sniffle. Needless to say the girls did not want to hang out with sick Dad.
Did way too much driving on Thursday as every one needed something they forgot or there was a last minute change etc. I was into Sechelt pretty much every hour between 2pm and 8pm. One of the unscheduled trips was to get our German friend to the bus so he can head out on his next adventure. He helped out quite a bit (around the house and at the Farm) and we enjoyed his company.
The planned dock repair went ahead on Friday.
We were short on time as I had to get back to the Girls. But we found a way to get the ramp bracket secure enough for the winter (we hope). We carved out some of the styrofoam float so we could insert 4 thru bolts in. Optimally we would have done at least 9 of those and stuck more flotation in – but that will have to wait for another day.
I finalized the purchase of the Husqvarna UTV – including having them install a winch on the front. I really appreciated that they could drop what they were doing and get this done for me. I ‘moved’ it to Tillicum Marina on Friday evening – with some logistical help from a friend. I spent the Friday night suffering, and not sleeping! I even had a hot bath at 3am to try to find some comfort.
But the ‘show must go on’. So I was up at 7am and connected with a landing craft Captain and two helpers for the garbage removal. We took the UTV up to the Farm as we went.
We arrived at the Farm not knowing exactly how to efficiently get this stuff out or even if the UTV was going to be able to make it up the hill without the use of the winch. Fortunately; the UTV did a stellar job and eventually we sorted out the man power to create some kind of efficiency.
We then moved the waste from the boat to trailers/trucks and took it to the dump. We then offloaded it there. Yes – that is a lot of moving the stuff from ‘here to there’. The dump told me it was 2,000lbs worth of waste. This trip had 99% metal and plastic. Fortunately the dump fees were minimal (about $100) due to the type of material we dumped. Each helper was $100. The main cost will be the landing craft. The two machine (tractor and UTV) and our German friend – makes this project quite significant.
The plan now is to visit the Farm to improve/fix drainage ditchs on the road/trail up the hill and reattach a shock absorbing rope to the dock float. I will then take a month to do office/admin stuff. This will be some quick book keeping for immediate needs and then some Farm plan stuff – and then back to book keeping.
We had a pan-pan on Friday. I am volunteering for just about everything with SAR at the moment so I chimed in – but so did a boat load of others. In the end I did not go on the call. This was kind of frustrating as I was in my truck with my gear 100m from the SAR boat when the crew was decided (I happened to be driving by).
A call went out to for folks interested in some training for Friday night. I volunteered – but it was canceled due to lack of interest.