Valerie, Maggie, Molly and I got on to Zoom to celebrate Nana’s 80th birthday. There was; Nana, Chris, and Julie’s entire family.
Maggie and Molly are on regular routines – mostly school and work.
I configured the new laptop for development and started into some coding – but this came to end once I got WarThunder installed. Well; it has been a week of WarThunder replacing my coding time but I will get back to coding now that I have reached my objective in that game (for now) – which was to get a Panther on my list of tanks. Tough slog.
I installed WarThunder on the new laptop. I tried to get Steam setup so I could use my existing progress but Steam re-authentication (due to new machine) was not working for me. So I installed WarThunder directly and started over.
The hazmat guys are done. The space was very nearly bare bones. Kevin (a friend) was just going to do drywall but was interested in doing the adjustments to the framing – so this is well underway.
The electricians started on the 1st and have done a lot of the wiring for the lights/switches/plugs but can not do too much more until we get the bathroom figured out. We did get into more detail on the design of the kitchen (using Ikea planning tool) and that allowed them to do that space.
The bathroom has been a complication. The previous bathroom was done with an eye to keeping the cost to an absolute minimum (particularly the shower) and as such was not going to work for us. We want the bathroom to be a feature. We eventually (after more than a few meetings with the plumber and jack-hammering up some of the slab to see how deep the drain pipe is) agreed to a plan. This is going to require a number of trenches for new drain runs. This will allow for a spacious bathroom and an additional hot water heater (water for upstairs and downstairs will be separated).
I invited the building inspector over (even though it was early in the process for an inspection). My hope was to get a ‘heads-up’ about any issues. We confirmed that the bedroom window is 3/4″ too small for code (egress) so I have ordered a new window. The framing will be adjusted and the new window installed as soon as the window arrives. I also got some clarity about what is expected for the (mostly) passive ventilation, wall insulation, fire separation issues, smoke alarms, etc. A good meeting.
The project will result in all legacy hazmat removed and everything up to current building codes. I guess one exception is that it will still be 2×4 exterior construction. This would be built with 2×6 today. In fact; it will exceed typical residential codes in some areas as it will be a secondary suite – which has a higher standard.
I broke my routine of coding on Merva for 3+ hours / day. This was due to the renovation starting back up on Deerhorn and the new laptop being at home. Too bad because we have had a few sunny days recently. Super sunny day today and on Merva – but not enough time to leave the marina.
I got the call. I will be getting my right knee replaced in two weeks. The left knee will get done at a later date. I had reconstructive surgery done on my right knee in 1986 – so it is wired differently and has 2 or 3 screws in it. I gather 1 or more of the screws are going to have to be removed. Not sure how its all going to go back together.
We celebrated Molly’s birthday on the lower back deck. Valerie had me hang some lights to make it more festive feeling. This started Valerie thinking about moving this, long stalled, project forward. So Valerie ordered some deck furniture and an outdoor propane fire place. She is now shopping for a hot tub. Fortunately; the house was built with an electrical conduit for a hot tub. Also; Valerie is now interested in getting professional for landscaping (something I have been advocating for). Now – I am going to have to hang those lights better.